Skip to main content

I want to make a claim

If your travel company has ceased trading and your ATOL protected booking was affected, you may be entitled to make a claim.

When an ATOL holder ceases trading we will provide a specific claims form, as well as specific instructions on what you should do to submit your claim. It is important that you follow the instructions for the ATOL failure you are submitting a claim for, as not all circumstances are identical, and our advice may differ depending on the nature of the failure. You can find details of the latest failures here.

The ATOL scheme is designed to prevent travellers from being at a financial disadvantage should their travel company cease trading. We also provide support to those booked on ATOL protected package holidays so they can continue their holiday as planned. You may be entitled to make a claim if:

  • You are currently abroad on an ATOL protected holiday with the travel company
  • You are due to travel on an ATOL protected holiday with the travel company

You will not be able to make a claim if

  • You have not booked an ATOL protected holiday with the travel company
  • Your travel company has not ceased trading
  • You have already gone on your holiday.

Currently Abroad

If you are on an ATOL protected holiday and are currently abroad, our aim is to let you finish your trip without any interruption. Your ATOL certificate will let you know which travel company is protecting your trip and what to do if that travel company ceased trading.

We’ll publish information following an ATOL failure that will let you know the arrangements we have made and what steps you may need to take. In most cases, we will contact your accommodation to guarantee payment and allow you to stay there for the duration of your trip. If we are unable to do this, your accommodation may request payment from you. You should keep the proof of payment for this as you will be able to make a claim for the cost.

You may need to pay again for replacement services, such as car hire and transfers. You will be able to claim for the cost of these.

If you have any difficulties while abroad, make sure you call us on +44 (0) 333 103 6350, which is available 24/7. We will explain the situation and discuss your options.

To claim for any costs incurred replacing parts of your holiday, you will need to complete the claims form associated with the ATOL holder you were booked with and include the following:

  • Booking documentation
  • Your ATOL certificate
  • Evidence of payments for replacement services

Due to Travel

If you are due to travel on an ATOL protected holiday and your travel company ceases trading, we will offer advice on what steps to take and how to complete a claims form.

Our advice will often be either not to travel or, if your flights are available, that you can travel but you may need to pay again for the cost of replacement services such as accommodation, transfers, car hire and any other parts of your ATOL protected booking.

Once you have submitted a claim, either for the full cost of your holiday or for the cost of replacement services, we aim to acknowledge receipt by email and process your claim as soon as possible. Depending on the circumstances of the ATOL failure, the volume of claims we have received or the nature of your individual claim, this may take longer. However, please be aware that we treat each claim on an individual basis and will contact you if we need any further information.

General claims settling policy

The Air Travel Trust Fund (ATTF) is the primary source of funding when an ATOL holder fails and monies from the ATTF are used to meet refund and repatriation costs arising from a failure. The Fund is administered on behalf of the Air Travel Trust (ATT) by the UK Civil Aviation Authority. The ATT Payment Policy can be found on our Air Travel Trust pages.